Yes yes the second ski trip of this winter.... but first a brief recap on the first ski trip of the year (Dec 29, 2005) ..... We went with Janny and bf Hong.... it was fun!! It was raining in Toronto but when we got to HorseShoe Valley, the weather turned out to be mild, cloudy but no RAIN! Janny and Hong went for snowboarding (brave brave Janny!!), while Keith and I went skiing. Saw Janny snowboarding down the hill couple times... and I tried to wave from afar...
Hmm..I remember even at that time I was too chicken to go down on a steeper "Green" hill!! I would SIMPLY REFUSE to MOVE!
Keith would be like - TRUST ME it's OK, just snow plow, slow and turn
I'd be like: NO, I'm staying right here.... the hill is too steep and narrow and I'd fall right off the slope!
And I would literally "STAY" on top of the hill for as long as I can until Keith runs out of patience!!
Anyway, so we skied for a while and I'd stay on green, while Keith would go to black diamond and we'd meet at the ski lift and it would repeat...
Lunch came and we met up with Janny and Hong. Thanks to Janny and Hong, they bought bread and pastrami ham and made these YUMMY sandwiches!!! It was good and filling.... (That's when we thought of making sandwiches in our next ski trip) . After much needed recharging, we skied for a bit longer and then drove home. It was FUN but tirrringggg!!
2nd ski trip - past weekend...
Keith and I went back to horseshoe again. Skipping the details (listed in Keith's previous post).... I got a bit braver this time and after few warm ups - I DARED myself to try the black diamond!! Thanks to Keith's encourgement and support - else I'd never even DREAM of going on to a BD!!
How I felt going down the BD for the first time?
OMG!!! It was TENSE and I couldn't even stand straight!! Taking really WIDE turns and trying to slow down, I eventually made it down the hill and I could LITERALLY feel my heart POUNDING!!
(Think I do have slight phobia of height - used to freak out on roller coasters and even on first few ski lifts rides!). And for sure if I tried going down the BD in my mid-age (getting there soon T_T) , I might've gotten a heart attack..
Anyway, going back... CRAZY or NOT, I told Keith that I want to try it again and we did for the next 1/2 hour or so?? At the end of the day, I SURVIVED!! I did fall once on the BD right flat on my face - I was trying to relax by doing some silly "BREATHE IN-OUT" and lost focus and balance and fell right FLAT on my face!! Next thing I knew, Keith was beside me but I couldn't see - embarrassing snow-filled goggle (like those eye patches that blocks light so one can have a good-nights sleep).... Instead of feeling any pain, I laughed out loud - thinking back now, guess going on BDs did make me go bit "HIGH" ??? (*_*)
Anyway, so here I am now, started out with fear of ski lifts, a "green" and now trying on BD (still far from skiing like Keith though - ONE DAY heheeheeh)... My ski level is still a blue-green .... BD is still a big of a task...hehehee...
To me going down the BD was more of a challenge to myself, to overcome some great silly fears.... It wasn't about being "cool" or achieving a "NON-NEWBIE" ski level (but no complains if they come with it 0_=).
Next day....my body ached like I was beaten to the ground (hmm...maybe a bit less seriously...hehe).
Thursday, March 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow...such a long 'first' post.
Definitely thanks to Janny and Hong for the previous ski day that I forgot to mention. It was fun and I hope we can do it again some time. Gloria and I have been formally taken snowboarding lessons, so it should be good to fall on the baby hills together. I can give some pointers from the lessons I took.
Despite freaking out the first couple of times, Tofu did good a good job. It's hard to get past your fears, but you eventually did. The snow is soft and I'm around to stop you, so there really isn't anything to hold you back except yourself. Snowplow...snowplow...snowplow. =)
Hehe, yes you finally went on black diamond slopes. The feeling of getting down a black diamond must be great, huh? Just wait until you hit the blues and blacks of other places like Blue Mountain or Tremblant. =)
Yeah, I forgot to mention the major spill that you had. Ha ha...I was afraid you were hurt or aching, but you were laughing instead! Phew...
You were covered in snow, but the fall was like nothing to you and actually looked fun. =p
ha ha ha... that's a very descriptive ski trip wor... we'll go next week for sure!
PS, put some picks up for your trip ma! Let us see ur skiing form... ha ha :)
Unfortunately, we didn't bring a camera and this blog was created after the trip...
Next time. =)
Post a Comment